Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 8: What unpopular book do you think should be a best seller?

Huh?

Again...strange question. And I don't have an answer to it.

I think bestsellers have some strange pull to them or their authors. If you look at the bestseller list it tends to be either wonderfully written books with authors who may or may not be established and recognizable OR they are books by authors who are well known and may or may not be good writers.

Not everything I read falls into either of these categories. I read random books. I sometimes choose books by their covers (sometimes that works, sometimes it's horrible). Sometimes I choose books because they're on some newspaper's top ten list or because the Chapters website suggests something. Sometimes I read something that has been given to me as a gift or that a friend has lent to me with high praise.

I kind of feel like being a best seller doesn't make a book a good book nor does it mean that book is not good, it just means that it's summertime and 83,298,392 people bought the newest (name your favourite mass produced pocket paperback writer here) book to read at the beach or the cottage or in the hammock in the backyard.

Silly question.

What do you think?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment