Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 7 : What is a book you found hard to read?

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!








There are so many ways this could be interpreted. But I chose to it to mean difficult in terms of subject, not writing style.

When I was in second year, I had to read Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison for one of my classes. It was hard. There is abuse. There is rape. I can't remember it entirely, but I do remember it taking a long time to read and that I had to put it down and come back to it on more than one occasion. It drove me nuts that the mother of the little girl (Bone) allowed her to be hurt is so many ways.

I don't have much to say on this - partly because it was so hard to read and partly because I read it so long ago I can't remember the details. It's in my bookcase at home, but I'm not sure that I will ever reread it.

Oh, and they made a movie of it - I haven't seen it though.

Have you read this book? What is the book you have found hardest to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment