Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 12: What book was so emotionally draining you couldn't complete it or had to set it aside for a bit?

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!









As much as this book is one of my top books, it's hard to read. but before I get to that, one of the reasons this book is one of my favourites is because it's written in a circle. It ends where it started. I discovered that by accident as it was a book I'd taken with me to Australia, hoping that because it was thick and I was going to be busy it would last me a good chunk of my nine weeks there. Yeah. No such luck. I had it finished by the second week. And at that point I'd even spent ten days at a friend's house and read books she owned instead of my own to make Fall on Your Knees last longer.

When I finished it, I flipped it back to the beginning to check something and for some reason started reading from page one again. Yup. Big circle.

So, it was hard to read the first time, but I found it harder to read the second and third times because of the way it is written. Some of the incest scenes are so well written that what's actually happening in them isn't necessarily apparent until details are revealed later on. But knowing the plot, well, they're not hidden any longer when you re-read the book.

What book drained you emotionally?

No comments:

Post a Comment