Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 14: What book should be on a required reading list for high school or college?

I had a hard time with this question and ultimately, I have no answer.

Anything I came up with, like To Kill a Mockingbird was something I had read (or should have read) when I was in high school or university. (I say should have read because I switched schools in grade eleven and it seems, in retrospect, that a lot of the high school cannon was reversed between the curricula of the two schools. Books like The Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies were read after I left one school and before I got to the other. Some books, I read twice, because the opposite was true [Hamlet was one of those - I think I read it four consecutive years or something silly like that]. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit I still haven't gotten around to reading The Catcher in the Rye or Lord of the Flies. Maybe they will show up in my challenge to myself!)

The only book that I can think of that maybe should be on a required list is The Little Prince. It's just such a good little book...and I read it so long ago that I can't really discuss it properly.

What book do you think should be required reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment