Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 13: What was your favourite childhood book?

This was even harder than the first question. I decided one picture book and one chapter book. But of course, I couldn't choose between two picture books, so it's two picture books and one chapter book.

1 and 2. Winter Wedding, Robert Welber and Maisie Middleton, Nina Sowter

Theses were two of my absolute favourites as a child.

I renamed myself to include Maisie Middleton in my name when I was about 3 years old. This book was about Maisie who got up before it was time to get up and got herself (and her animals dressed) and cleaned up. Then she woke up her daddy who made her a burnt breakfast and fell asleep on the stairs. So she made her own breakfast of cakes and jello and all kinds of good things. It's British and I think maybe it's out of print.

I don't remember a whole lot about Winter Wedding except that we took it out of the library a lot when I was little and then one of my sisters gave it to me for Christmas. They were babies. Like maybe 8 months old. And I was surprised they knew what to pick for me. But I was happy! And I loved it. It was my favourite story - a little boy and little girl build a fort at daycare/preschool and get married and in the spring a plant grows. There was more to it than that, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I think this one might be out of print as well!

I still have both of them in a safe place for J when she's old enough to read them.

3. The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett

This was the very first book I read so much that it fell apart. And being me, I still have it. I never got another copy, I just taped it back together. I remember being outraged at how Mary was treated when her parents died. I still love how this angry, unsociable, spoiled little girl becomes self-assured and good company!

What were your favourite books when you were a kid? I've left off a bunch like anything Roald Dahl and The Story Girl (Lucy Maud Montgomery).

No comments:

Post a Comment