Monday, July 30, 2012

Goodbye Maeve Binchy

After work, as I was shutting down my computer today to go home, I saw a news alert that Maeve Binchy had died at age 72. I don't remember when I read my first Maeve Binchy novel, mostly because I can't remember what it was. I think it might have been Circle of Friends which I still reread occasionally. It never fails that I get angry with Nan for her manipulative behaviour and Jack for being a coward, but I come back to it over and over. There is something very powerful about Benny and Eve's friendship. [I get annoyed with the movie because all the loose ends get tied up, even though they're not in the book. Also, only recently did I realize that slimy Simon Westward was played by Colin Firth and that makes me a little sad. And because she played Nan, I have a predisposed dislike of any Saffron Burrows character now]

I just took a look at a list of Maeve Binchy's novels and I think I've read almost all of them. I've definitely read the four books of short stories. And looking at the titles, it's interesting to remember where I was, in life and in the world, when I read them. Her books will always hold something special for me.

Rest in Peace Ms. Binchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment